The Benefits of
Using Genuine Wichita Clutch Parts
Author - Steve Hittmann Power Transmission Product Manager
When you consider that the costs associated
with down time for a grinding mill on the average mine site exceeds AUD
$100,000 per hour, the cost of mechanical components could seem
insignificant. Some components, such as the Wichita clutch range supplied by
CBC are, in some cases, manufactured to a specific drawing for each particular
mill and identified by a serial number. The incidence in the market of copy Wichita
clutch parts is becoming more frequent and, considering the issues that have
occurred with premature failures and non-compatible matching components, you
have to ask yourself, is it worth the risk of using cheaper copy parts?
Some of the common dangers of using
non-genuine Wichita clutch components include the following.
- Genuine Wichita
airtubes offer four times the life when compared to non-genuine airtubes which
can fail prematurely due to insufficient calendar cord wrapping.
- Non-genuine suppliers often provide low quality metal components that are made in China.
- Copy friction discs have been known to be undersized, causing wear in other costly drive components.
- Some Wichita clutch copies promote the use of split airtubes. Whereas Wichita specifies that they are for emergency use only.
- Copy pressure plates have been the subject of early failures and poor performance.
- Non-genuine suppliers often copy to out of date Wichita specifications, due to them having no access to Wichita archives.
- Non-genuine suppliers cannot accurately cross-reference between USA and UK manufactured part numbers, increasing the risk of incorrect parts being supplied.
- On some applications, genuine Wichita friction material lasts up to three times longer than copied parts.
- Genuine Wichita clutch friction discs have high tensile tooth strength, which offers 50% longer life.
- Use of a contaminated grade of copper in copy wear plates results in a significantly shorter working life.
- Non-genuine pressure plates have been subject to catastrophic failure when used at high speed.
- Non-genuine suppliers often use Kevlar friction material, which squeals on high speed applications and is known to fail in high heat applications.
- Wichita UK and Wichita USA are ISO 9001 / ISO 14000 companies.
- Wichita offers a two year warranty.
- Competitors cannot offer genuine Wichita application support.
- The Wichita warranty is invalidated is copy parts are used.
It is easy to see the importance of using
genuine Wichita clutch parts. Copy parts may cost less upfront, however, the
frequency of occurrence of premature failures and non-compatible matching
components can end up costing significant amounts of money in down time and
To ensure supply of the right parts and
correct technical selection of industrial clutch products, contact CBC Power
Transmission Technical Specialists. The CBC industrial clutch range includes
Wichita clutch, Sprag clutch, Stieber, Eaton Air Flex, and Air Champ indexing